HIt and run accidents can cause both physical and emotional injuries. Not only are you dealing with the traumatic experience of being in a car accident but you also likely have many questions, such as who will pay for your medical bills, how will you be compensated for what you’ve lost? If you’ve been in a hit and run, make sure to understand your rights and follow these three steps.

After a Hit and Run, Call the Police

If you’ve been in a hit and run or any accident, you or someone else involved or witness to the accident should call 911 and report the accident as well as any injuries. The police will record the accident scene, take statements from you and any other victims or witnesses, and anyone needing medical attention will be treated or taken to a hospital. When speaking to the police officer, try to relate as many details of the hit-and-run driver and vehicle as you can to help the officers in locating the other driver. It is not uncommon for police to spot the damaged vehicle of the hit-and-run driver and stop them within minutes of the accident.

Call a Hit and Run Accident Attorney

A personal injury attorney with experience and proven results for hit and run car accidents is essential to maximize your compensation. He or she can provide you with invaluable advice and will normally handle a case on a contingency basis, meaning that they will not charge you out-of-pocket, but will take a percentage of any recovery they obtain for you. And, a personal injury attorney has a lot of experience dealing with insurance companies, law enforcement, doctors, and others, which means they can significantly streamline the post-accident investigation and recovery process for you. A personal injury attorney will also be able to coach you on how best to report the accident to your insurance provider.

Call the Insurance Company

While you do have a legal responsibility to inform your insurance company any time you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident, we strongly advise you to contact our firm and speak with an experienced car accident attorney at once. We can make the call to the insurance company for you or with you to help you through the process. New Jersey law requires drivers to carry uninsured motorist coverage, but that is not the only option available to the victims of hit and run accidents. In certain circumstances, and in coordination with the efforts of local law enforcement, our firm may be able to help locate the hit and run driver who caused the accident. In either instance, our firm will work with you closely to file a claim or lawsuit on your behalf to seek the damages you are rightfully owed.

Brandon J. Broderick, Attorney at Law Is Here for You

If you’ve been injured in a car accident caused by a hit and run driver, don’t wait, contact us today for a free consultation. With our proven track record of success and our commitment to client care, we can get you the justice you deserve. 

Posted by: Brandon J. Bro…
Date: Mon, 10/19/2020 - 02:25

Still have questions?

Speak to an attorney today

Call now and be done