One of the most terrifying kinds of auto accidents is a head-on collision. While serious injuries can occur during any accident, head-on collisions usually lead to very devastating injuries. In fact, around 10% of head-on collisions result in a fatality.
This type of accident results in severe injuries because of the direct impact of the two vehicles involved. Because of this, settlements from a head-on collision can be significant, but it is dependent on the circumstances and the severity of the victim's injuries.
The average settlement for a head-on collision ranges from just a few thousand to over $1 million dollars. Since almost every car accident case is different, there is also no standard settlement sum.
To secure fair compensation, it is recommended that you hire a New Jersey car accident lawyer to handle your case and represent you. Lawyers with experience, such as Brandon J. Broderick, can have a major impact on the amount you may receive in settlement.
Damages Available For Accident Victims
Settlements for personal injuries are based on comparable jury verdicts and are intended to make up for a victim's economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages is easily determined, and will include medical costs, property damage, and loss of earning capacity due to the accident.
Punitive damages is the third category of damages. Due to the fact that they are viewed as a punishment, punitive damages are extremely rare. They are typically only given when the court finds that the defendant's actions were so extreme and done with such reckless disregard for the safety of others that they almost amounted to intentional acts and, as a result, merited punishment.
What Impacts a Head-On Collision Settlement?
When it comes to settlement negotiations, the amount of damages a victim has sustained will significantly influence the offers made. Below are elements that will be taken into account:
- Severity and duration of the victim's injuries
- Whether the crash left the victim permanently deformed or crippled
- Age of the victim at the time of the accident
- Victim's profession and level of education
- Type of injuries sustained
- Whether the injuries will keep the victim from doing the activities they enjoy
- If the victim will be able to return to work
Both fault and state laws also impact the settlement.
- States with contributory negligence laws prevent accident victims from pursuing damages if they in any way contributed to the accident.
- States that apply comparative negligence limit the victim's compensation by a percentage of their share of the accident's blame.
- Modified comparative negligence states forbid the victim from recovering damages if they were primarily at fault (more than 50%) for the accident and lower the victim's damages by a proportion of their share of the accident's blame.
Lawsuits Involving Head-On Collisions
You can file a lawsuit to get money for your injuries, or a wrongful death claim if you lost a family member, regardless of whether you were a passenger in the same car as the negligent driver, a passenger in another car, or a pedestrian. You can seek compensation for your losses.
In addition to the negligent driver, other parties may be held liable, such as the owner of the vehicle, the auto maker or company who made a faulty auto part, or even a governmental body. In these lawsuits, the plaintiffs may ask for compensation for medical costs, lost wages and benefits, pain and suffering, and emotional distress while surviving family members may file a wrongful death claim for funeral and burial costs, loss of companionship, and loss of future wages if the accident resulted in death.
These cases are usually complex and require the services of an experienced lawyer to be successful.
Call Us To Consult With Our Team of Experienced NJ Car Accident Lawyers
Head-on collisions and the serious injuries they inflict should be totally the responsibility of negligent drivers. Our firm will provide the legal assistance you need to win your case.
The staff of Brandon J. Broderick, Attorney at Law, takes great pride in its commitment to defending the rights of our clients, especially those hurt due to someone else's negligence.
Call us today and let's discuss your case.