If you are driving along the road, following the speed limit and traffic laws, and being considerate to others around you, you are doing everything right. However, imagine you unexpectedly hit a pedestrian who is jaywalking across the street outside a crosswalk. Since pedestrians usually sustain the worst injuries in car accidents, it is easy to blame the driver of the vehicle. However, it is illegal to jaywalk in New Jersey, and those who break the law may be held responsible, even if they are hurt in an accident.

The NJ pedestrian accident lawyers of Brandon J. Broderick, Attorney at Law can help if you are involved in an accident where someone was injured while jaywalking. Our law firm specializes in New Jersey accidents of all types, can help you determine fault and decide what steps to take next.

Call us today to consult with one of the experienced lawyers at our firm.

What Are The New Jersey Laws For Jaywalking?

According to New Jersey law, pedestrians are required to use crosswalks at designated intersections and to follow pedestrian traffic signals. If a pedestrian is outside of a marked or unmarked intersection, they are required to yield the right-of-way to motor vehicles. A $54 fine may be imposed on the pedestrian for breaking these laws.

Whether or not crosswalks are marked, cars must stop for people using crosswalks at intersections. When police are directing traffic or traffic signals are in place, this rule does not apply. Drivers who break these laws could be subject to up to 15 days of community service and a $200 fine.

To reduce pedestrian accidents, the New Jersey Department of Law and Public Safety offers the following safety tips for pedestrians:

  • Cross at crosswalks or corners when possible
  • Yield the right-of-way to cars if you are not crossing at a crosswalk
  • Before crossing, look left, right, and left again
  • Be cautious of turning vehicles when crossing
  • Follow all traffic signals
  • Face traffic when crossing the street
  • When walking at night, dress in reflective clothing

Comparative Negligence Laws in New Jersey & Jaywalking

When the negligence of multiple parties causes injuries, New Jersey applies a comparative negligence rule. Each person who contributed to the accident is given a percentage of fault under this rule by either a claims adjuster, judge, or jury. The victim cannot seek compensation if they have a greater percentage of fault in the accident than the other party. The victim's proportion of liability will be deducted from any compensation awarded if they were found to be less at fault than the other party in a pedestrian accident claim.

Accidents involving jaywalkers may be significantly impacted by this rule. Recovering damages is not allowed if it is determined that you were at a greater percentage of fault for the accident. If you are 51% at fault and the other party is 49%, for example. However, whatever reward you are given will be reduced by your percentage of fault.

Call The Law Office of Brandon J. Broderick For Help With Your Pedestrian Accident Claim in NJ

Accidents involving pedestrians occur regularly. When a motor vehicle and a pedestrian are involved in an accident, it is unclear who is at fault most of the time. It's possible that the pedestrian and the motorist both bear some fault in the accident. This is why it's important to have a lawyer look into your case.

Our New Jersey pedestrian accident lawyers have fought for victims of car accidents, including pedestrian accident victims, and have successfully helped them obtain significant financial settlements.

Please give us a call today so that we can work together to identify your legal options and what type of settlement you can expect.

Posted by: Brandon J. Bro…
Date: Tue, 05/21/2024 - 17:38

Still have questions?

Call now and be done