There is no legal requirement that you must enlist the services of a lawyer after being involved in an auto accident. People who are injured in Connecticut car accidents decide to get legal advice and representation so they may concentrate on getting better while also pursuing legal action. 

At any moment during the course of filing an insurance claim or pursuing a personal injury case, you have the option of hiring legal counsel. It's important to know that while hiring a lawyer does not ensure specific results, it will improve your chances. They will also assist with the investigation of the collision, help with gathering evidence, and handle all discussions with the insurance company on your behalf. This can help you manage the legal process while prioritizing your physical recovery and spending time with your family.

When you should retain legal counsel following a car accident ultimately relies on how comfortable you are handling your own claim. However, you have the right to counsel at any time.

Brandon J. Broderick, Attorney at Law has a history of success in helping car accident victims in Connecticut. Our team of CT car accident lawyers are ready to help.

Submitting a Claim With the Insurance Company

The first step in getting compensation after a car accident is to submit a claim to either your own insurance company or the insurance company of the other driver. Comparative negligence laws may be in effect in some states, which means that if you contributed to the accident, your compensation would be reduced proportionately.

Connecticut is a "fault" state, otherwise referred to as a tort state. This means that the party that caused the accident is liable for damages. Also, Connecticut utilizes a modified form of comparative negligence. The way it works is: an accident victim is still entitled to compensation even if they were partially at fault due to their own negligence. However, the plaintiff in a personal injury or car accident claim in Connecticut must be less than 50% at fault for the injuries in order to be entitled to any damages. The compensation given will be reduced by the defendant's percentage of fault. If you were 20% at fault in an accident for not using your turn signal, for example, you would be entitled to 80% of any damages awarded. If you were given $100,000 in damages, you should get $80,000, which is the amount reduced by 20%.

In the worst case scenarios, the other driver is either uninsured or has low coverage insurance. If you have an insurance claim, the compensation you are entitled to will ultimately depend on how serious your bodily injuries are.

Always remember that some injuries sustained in car accidents may not show symptoms for days or even weeks later. Whiplash, for example, may take several days for symptoms to show, reports the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS).

If you have uninsured motorist coverage, you may be able to recover losses if the other driver's policy is unable to do so. Immediately following an automobile accident, you can retain legal counsel to assist you in evaluating your losses and investigating the possibilities of recovering compensation.

When Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit

Even your own coverage might not cover your costs in some cases, especially if the at-fault party was driving without insurance. In a situation like this, you may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver to recover additional compensation.

As long as you are within the statute of limitations, you may file a personal injury case if the insurance company is offering you a settlement that doesn't compensate you for your losses. Your lawyer will know the amount of time you have to file a lawsuit and take action before the deadline. In Connecticut, you have two years from the day you were injured in the accident or the day your injury became apparent.

Many conditions must be met before filing a personal injury lawsuit. Your injuries must have resulted in legitimate economic or noneconomic damages, which you can prove with supporting evidence such medical records and treatments. Additionally, you must be able to prove that the other motorist was at fault.

Who Caused the Accident?

It would be negligent for a driver to operate a car when impaired by the use of drugs or with a blood alcohol level above the legal limit. The motorist may have violated their duty of care to you by driving while distracted by a phone call, which may have contributed to the accident.

A lawyer with experience will be able to assist in clearly establishing negligence against the other driver.

Need a CT Car Accident Lawyer? The Law Office of Brandon J. Broderick Can Help

If the unexpected happens and you suffer injuries in a car accident, don't manage your legal case on your own. A CT car accident lawyer can handle your case while you take care of your help.

At Brandon J. Broderick, Attorney at Law, you can count on us to look out for your interests. Call us right away for a free evaluation.

Posted by: Brandon J. Bro…
Date: Fri, 05/19/2023 - 18:12

Still have questions?

Call now and be done