The skyline, landmarks, and amusement parks of New York make it a fantastic place to live or visit. Anywhere in New York can be hazardous for motorists. According to the New York State DMV, around 200,000 car accidents occur annually in this region, resulting in over 250,000 injuries and 3,600 fatalities. Queens is one of New York City's most populated boroughs. Traffic can be a nightmare, making it impossible to navigate roads safely. In 2021, there were a total of 29,256 motor vehicle accidents in Queens, as indicated by the NYPD's compilation of collision statistics. This accounted for 29 percent of all motor accidents that year in New York City. Brooklyn saw the most collisions.
Along with physical pain, accident victims may also suffer financial difficulty, emotional anguish, and income loss. The pain, physical restrictions, and other losses can be very stressful and challenging for individuals and their families.
The effects of car accident injuries may overwhelm you or a loved one. A reputable Queens automobile accident attorney named Brandon J. Broderick wants you to know that you are not the only one dealing with these types of car accident related issues. Across the state, we have helped hundreds of auto accident victims. We want to assist you in holding negligent parties liable and obtaining the monetary compensation to which you are entitled.
This website contains information on the procedure and requirements for filing a New York car accident lawsuit. We will discuss the advantages of hiring an experienced attorney to represent you in cases involving auto accidents. In addition, we will answer questions that Queens, New York, car accident victims and their families frequently have.
WHEN MAY I FILE A LAWSUIT FOR A CAR ACCIDENT IN QUEENS, NEW YORK?
Any combination of factors could cause an automobile accident. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), reckless driving is the main contributing factor in car accidents. Here are some examples of reckless driving:
- Drunk Driving - Over 10,000 fatalities are caused by drunk driving each year.
- Drug-impaired Driving - Drug impairment affects more than half of seriously injured accident drivers.
- Distracted Driving - More than 3,000 individuals are killed each year as a result of distracted driving.
- Drowsy Driving - is responsible for around 700 deaths per year.
- Speeding - Nearly 9,500 fatalities are caused by speeding each year.
If you suffered injuries in a car collision when another motorist was negligent or reckless, you might be qualified to file a lawsuit for damages. In Queens, New York, claims involving personal injuries are predicated on negligence. This means that in order to support your claim for damages, you must be able to establish the following elements:
- The other motorist owed you a duty of reasonable care.
- The driver breached this duty.
- The driver’s breach of duty / negligence caused your injuries.
- You sustained losses as a result of your injuries. (The damages may include both economic like lost wages or medical costs and non-economic ones like pain, suffering, and mental anguish.)
DO I NEED A LAWYER TO HELP ME FILE A NEW YORK CAR ACCIDENT LAWSUIT IN QUEENS?
You have the right to sue any driver who causes you to sustain serious injuries in a car accident in Queens. Although it is best to hire an experienced Queens car accident lawyer that can help you with your case, they are skilled negotiators and litigators who have experience handling various types of car accident injury cases.
The car accident attorneys at Brandon J. Broderick are available to answer all of your questions regarding the New York process for filing a car accident lawsuit. They will also advise you on the best course of action and manage the case expertly so that you can focus on what matters most, taking care of your family and yourself. Our attorneys will:
- Examine the circumstances of the accident to determine if you are entitled to file a lawsuit against another party.
- We will advise you on whether filing a personal injury lawsuit or an insurance claim is in your best interests.
- Protect your legal rights under New York State law.
- Negotiate with attorneys and insurance company representatives on your behalf.
- Gather all evidence that can be used to demonstrate the negligent behavior of the driver at fault.
- Gather evidence to support your compensation claim by demonstrating the fair value of your damages (emotional distress, physical pain, and financial losses).
- Discuss with you whether you should accept a settlement based on the fair and complete compensation you are entitled to.
- If necessary, fight to win in court in order to obtain the fair and complete compensation you deserve.
- Answer all of your questions and keep you informed of the process's progression at all times.
Contact the law office of Brandon J. Broderick at (877) 223-5098 or fill out the FREE CASE EVALUATION Form on our website to speak with an experienced Queens, New York, auto accident attorney. There is no charge for consultations, and you pay nothing unless we win your case.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CAR ACCIDENT LAWSUITS IN QUEENS
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident in Queens, please contact our firm immediately. There are numerous questions regarding insurance, medical care, and how to obtain the appropriate financial compensation that you probably have right now. Based on our many years of experience assisting injured clients, we have compiled a list of frequently asked questions about automobile accident lawsuits. Although we recommend contacting us for advice and answers specific to your situation, the following questions can provide helpful guidelines and general information.
- What rights do I have if I am injured in an auto accident in Queens?
- What is covered by PIP insurance?
- Who is liable for my auto accident injuries in Queens?
- What types of damages may I seek in a New York auto accident lawsuit?
- What compensation can I obtain from a Queens car accident lawsuit?
- How do I interact with the insurance adjuster?
- Should I accept the insurance company's settlement offer?
- Can I file a lawsuit in New York if I was partially responsible for the car crash?
- Do I require a Queens car accident attorney?
- What qualities should I look for in a car accident attorney?
- How much does it cost to retain a car accident attorney in Queens?
WHAT RIGHTS DO I HAVE IF I AM INJURED IN AN AUTO ACCIDENT IN QUEENS?
The New York Motor Vehicle Law does not prohibit you from filing a lawsuit for compensation if you have sustained severe, permanent injuries, scarring, disfigurement, or the loss of vital bodily functions. The following are examples of serious injuries that New York law may consider:
- Injuries to the back and neck: A collision can cause damage to the discs in your neck and back. The damage might be apparent right away, or it might deteriorate gradually. This may require extensive medical treatment.
- Brain injuries: Serious and permanent brain injuries can be a result of a car accident.
- Fractured and broken bones: A broken bone can cause pain, hinder body function, require surgery, or cause long-term health issues.
- Loss of limbs: Arms and legs can be severed or torn in catastrophic collisions.
- Spinal cord injuries: These injuries may result in functional and sensory loss and cause permanent disability.
- Burns: A car accident may cause a fire leading to burns. These burns can cause disfigurement, scarring, pain, and/or loss of bodily functions. Long-term medical treatment may be required in some circumstances.
In many instances, a lawsuit may be required to obtain compensation for ongoing medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and additional damages. A New York attorney with experience in auto accidents can evaluate your case and determine whether you are eligible to file a lawsuit of this type.
WHAT IS COVERED BY PIP INSURANCE?
The state of New York requires vehicle owners to carry at least $50,000 in personal injury protection. PIP insurance covers reasonable and necessary medical costs, including hospital costs, physical and occupational therapy, rehabilitation care, and medical treatment.
WHO IS LIABLE FOR MY AUTO ACCIDENT INJURIES IN QUEENS?
Auto accident liability is determined by negligence. In cases involving automobile collisions, the negligent party or parties may be held liable for damages. Generally, drivers are deemed negligent when they violate traffic laws, such as speeding, failing to yield the right-of-way, failing to stop at red lights, driving under the influence, or causing an accident. If an accident is caused by defective parts, the mechanic, manufacturer, or parts manufacturer may be held liable.
You may also be partially responsible if your actions contributed to the accident, such as speeding or driving while distracted.
WHAT TYPES OF DAMAGES MAY I SEEK IN A NEW YORK AUTO ACCIDENT LAWSUIT?
Your medical history, prognosis, and healthcare needs, as well as the effects of these factors on your mental and family health, will all impact the amount of damages to which you are entitled. An experienced Brandon J. Broderick Queens attorney can assist you in determining the possible damages that you may be entitled to. Those who have been seriously injured in a car accident may be eligible for compensation for both economic and non-economic damages, such as: future and existing medical and care costs, including hospital stays, surgeries, medications, diagnostic tests, and office visits, as well as assistive devices and equipment, rehabilitation therapies, and transportation to and from medical facilities.
- Damage to property
- Loss of wages and other income
- Reduced ability to earn
- Distress, pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical disability, scarring, or disfigurement
- Reduced ability to enjoy life
- Your family's loss of assistance, support, and companionship
- Other damages that may be compensated under New York law
WHAT COMPENSATION CAN I OBTAIN FROM A QUEENS CAR ACCIDENT LAWSUIT?
The amount of compensation you are entitled to from a New York car accident lawsuit depends on the specifics of each case. A Queens auto accident lawyer, like Brandon J. Broderick, will assess your injuries, medical bills, treatment requirements, and the long-term impact of your injury on your mental health, income, and family life. Then, based on the specifics of your case, he or she will be able to give you a more accurate estimate of how much compensation you may receive.
Our attorneys have helped injured clients receive multimillion-dollar awards. They will utilize their success to assist you in receiving the fair and complete compensation you deserve.
HOW DO I INTERACT WITH THE INSURANCE ADJUSTER?
Your insurance provider will contact you following a car accident to learn more about the incident and any injuries. Speaking with them could seem like a harmless chat, but doing so could hurt your case. They could use this information to demonstrate that you were careless, contributed to the accident, or did not have severe injuries. Any information you provide to an adjuster or other insurance company agent may be used to lower or reject your payment.
Having an experienced attorney handle communications with the other party's insurance provider might be highly advantageous. It is possible to inform the agents from the insurance company that your lawyer will get in touch with them. This will allow you to be less concerned with what you say and don't say. Your New York car accident attorney will be familiar with the strategies employed by insurance companies to deny and undervalue claims. He or she will negotiate aggressively to secure you the highest possible compensation.
SHOULD I ACCEPT THE INSURANCE COMPANY’S SETTLEMENT OFFER?
Insurance companies put pressure on New Yorkers who have been hurt in auto accidents to accept their settlement offer. Even if it is insufficient to cover their medical expenses. Insurance companies sometimes need more information to make fair offers and are always trying to pay out as little as possible.
A skilled Queens attorney can assist you in this matter. Brandon J. Broderick's attorneys have the expertise and experience to negotiate with insurance companies in order to obtain a fair settlement. We won't back down until we have a fair offer to cover all your damages. If the insurance company refuses to offer a reasonable settlement, we will be prepared to take them to court to obtain a reasonable award.
CAN I FILE A LAWSUIT IN NEW YORK IF I WAS PARTIALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CAR CRASH?
Even if you were partially at fault for an accident, you can still file a claim against the other driver under New York's comparative fault law. New York is a "pure comparative fault" state, which means you can file a claim against a negligent party regardless of how much you were at fault.
An attorney at Brandon J. Broderick in Queens will diligently collect evidence to demonstrate that the other driver is partially or wholly responsible for the accident. This will prevent your compensation from being reduced.
DO I REQUIRE A QUEENS CAR ACCIDENT ATTORNEY?
A dependable Queens attorney can assist you in navigating the legal system. Our accident attorneys have years of experience assisting injured clients in obtaining the settlements and awards to which they are entitled. We are skilled litigators and negotiators who will not rest until our clients obtain the desired results.
WHAT QUALITIES SHOULD I LOOK FOR IN A CAR ACCIDENT ATTORNEY?
After your car accident, you should consider experience, past successes, communication, and dedication when searching for a lawyer. While the majority of personal injury law firms claim they will do everything possible to help their clients obtain fair and equitable financial compensation, very few have the necessary experience. Brandon J. Broderick is a firm that will not back down. We will continue to fight for what is rightfully yours, and insurance companies and their attorneys are aware of this.
We have been by the side of thousands of Queens residents for many years and helped them every step of the way. We do everything in our power to ensure New Yorkers get the compensation they deserve after a car accident in Queens. We keep our clients informed of all developments and communicate frequently with them. We have won multi-million-dollar settlements for severely injured clients and treat every single case as a priority.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO RETAIN A CAR ACCIDENT ATTORNEY IN QUEENS?
You don't have to pay anything up front for a Queens car accident lawyer because we work on a contingency basis. This means you won't have to pay anything until we get you the compensation you deserve. Brandon J. Broderick is ready to help you with your Queens car accident claim today.
Our fee will be based on a portion of your damages once you have received the settlement or court award that you deserve. Contact us at (877) 223-5098 or fill out the FREE CASE EVALUATION Form on our website to get started.