An injured worker in Connecticut may be eligible for workers' compensation if the injury prevents them from performing their job duties or returning to work after an accident in the workplace. If you are injured on the job, you may be entitled to benefits.

After an injury, you must immediately inform your supervisor or boss. When an employee is injured in a workplace accident in Connecticut, the employer must fill out a specific form called the "first injury report." If you've been injured and it appears like you could need surgery or miss time from work, it's in your best interest to speak with a CT workers’ comp lawyer so that the appropriate paperwork can be completed and submitted to protect your rights. If there's a delay in benefits, there may be an issue and your lawyer can help you figure it out.

Brandon J. Broderick, Attorney at Law, has helped many injured Connecticut workers get the benefits they are entitled to.

If you have questions, we offer 7 facts you may or may not know about the Workers' Compensation in Connecticut.

Does Connecticut Require Workers' Compensation Insurance?

In Connecticut, workers' comp insurance coverage is mandated by law. Self-insurance is an option for employers with sufficient financial resources; however, they must demonstrate their financial stability to the Workers' Compensation Commission before the latter will approve the move.

There are cases where businesses either do not carry coverage or allow their coverage to lapse, leaving their injured employees with nowhere to turn for assistance. If businesses have to pay for their workers' medical expenses and lost wages, it can cause a lot of problems. It usually results in severing ties with the company for which you were working.

How Long Does It Take To Get Paid After Being Approved For Workers' Compensation?

If the insurance company doesn't pay you within 20 days after settling, you're entitled to a 20% penalty. If the worker's injuries are severe, the workers' compensation lawsuit may take up to two years to settle. During that time period, you will work closely with your lawyer, so it's important to ensure they are competent in their role and are keeping you updated on their progress.

Sooner or later, your CT workers comp lawyer can get an idea of how much your case is worth in settlement negotiations. You will then be able to decide whether to continue working for your current employer or seek new employment opportunities. This is important to consider before the settlement phase begins.

Types of CT Workers' Compensation Disability Benefits

Temporary Total Disability (TTD)

Temporary Total Disability benefits are paid out to workers who are temporarily unable to work because of an injury or sickness. These payments are based on 75% of the worker's average weekly earnings (after federal, state, and FICA deductions) in the 52 weeks before the injury or illness.

After three calendar days off work due to an injury or illness, an employee is eligible to receive Temporary Total Disability or Temporary Partial Disability benefits (see below). If an employee is unable to work for seven or more calendar days, benefits will begin on the fourth day of disability. However, if the employee is disabled for more than 14 calendar days, the three-day waiting period will be waived and payments will commence from the beginning of the disability.

Permanent Total Disability (PTD)

In the event of permanent total disability, a Connecticut employee is entitled to 75% of his or her average weekly income. Payments are based on a percentage of their regular income, with a cap set at 75% of their average weekly earnings (determined based on the state in question). The range is from $228.20 per week to $1,141 per week, or 100% of the State Average Weekly Wage, whichever is greater in that particular state. Compensation will be provided for as long as the disabled person remains so. The Social Security offset applies to all Connecticut workers' compensation payments.

Permanent Partial Disability (PPD)

Employees who become permanently disabled as a result of an accident or sickness on the job may be eligible to receive PPD payments, which are intended to compensate them for being permanently and partially disabled and not for lost wages. These payments vary in value based on when the injury or illness occurred and which body part is disabled.

What Happens in the Event of a Death At Work?

If an employee is killed on the job or develops an occupational disease as a result of their job, his or her dependents are entitled to death benefits under Connecticut's workers' compensation statute. The beneficiary or the individual receives $4,000 for burial costs, as well as weekly benefits for up to 312 weeks.

Beneficiaries include a surviving spouse, children, or persons dependent on the deceased worker before his/her death.

Deadline To File a Claim

Claims for workers' compensation in Connecticut must be submitted no later than one year after the date of the injury. However, if you become hurt or sick on the job, you need to notify your manager or supervisor right away. Do not procrastinate; the sooner you submit your claim, the better. To "file" a claim in Connecticut, you must submit it to the state's workers' compensation board.

Will My Claim Be Denied If I Don't Report My Injury Before The Deadline?

In order to be eligible for workers' compensation in Connecticut, a claim must be submitted within a specific time frame. If the deadline passes, you could lose the right to collect benefits. Because of this, if you get hurt on the job or develop a work-related disease, you should call our office as soon as possible to begin the workers' compensation claim process.

Can I Be Fired If I File a Workers' Compensation Claim?

No. In the state of Connecticut, filing a workers' compensation claim does not give your employer the right to dismiss, demote, or otherwise terminate your employment. Some businesses have been caught engaging in illegal retaliation against workers who have sought workers' compensation, but you have rights. If you suspect your employer has retaliated against you because you filed a workers' compensation claim, contact our offices for a free consultation.

Contact Brandon J. Broderick If You Have Questions

If you've been hurt on the job, you need to file a claim right away. But if you need assistance, a lawyer should be contacted. If you have any issues with your workers' compensation case or benefits, Brandon J. Broderick, Attorney at Law is here to help. If you have a legal disagreement with an employer, we can assist you in finding a solution.

We've helped many people in your shoes. Get in touch with us immediately so that we can talk about your situation and think about how we could help.

Posted by: Brandon J. Bro…
Date: Wed, 01/04/2023 - 20:36

Still have questions?

Call now and be done