If you have ever been in a motorcycle accident, you more than likely suffered injuries which led to you being consumed with pain or even anger. It can be a stressful situation, especially when medical costs quickly add up. Fortunately, you can take legal action to recover your losses. An experienced CT motorcycle accident lawyer can help you with this.

We will cover key points you should know when seeking compensation for injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident in Connecticut. If you retain the services of a lawyer, you will greatly increase your odds of success.

At Brandon J. Broderick, Attorney at Law, it is our mission to support each client as they seek fair compensation. Call us today for help.

Connecticut: An "At-Fault" State

Being an at-fault state, or a tort state, those responsible for the accident are also liable for damages, such as:

  • Property damage
  • Medical expenses
  • Lost wages
  • Pain and suffering

Due to Connecticut's at-fault laws, a motorist that is at-fault can be held responsible for costs associated with the accident as well as any injuries they caused to the victim. Just remember, there’s some do’s and don’ts when it comes to motorcycle accidents, as well as some specific motorcycle laws that the state of Connecticut has in place.

Comparative Negligence in Connecticut

The state follows modified comparative negligence laws, where a driver in an accident can obtain damages even if they were partially at fault. Technically, you are eligible for compensation if the court determines that you contributed 50% or less to an accident, including motorcycles.

It is typical for both parties involved in an accident to bear some of the blame for a collision. The laws of Connecticut take this into account and weigh how much blame each side bears. The driver who was at fault more may be required to compensate the driver who was at fault less. The victim might anticipate receiving less compensation for their part in the collision, the more at fault they were.

Insurance Requirements for Motorcycle Riders in Connecticut

Similar to auto insurance, Connecticut law mandates motorcycle insurance before riding on a public road. All two- or three-wheeled motor vehicles with more than 2 horsepower and an exposed driver's seat must be registered and insured, according to the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles. Although you can easily raise the levels to meet your needs, Connecticut law mandates that motorcycle owners carry the following minimum insurance coverage:

  • $25,000 for bodily injury per person
  • $50,000 for total bodily injury per accident
  • $25,000 for property damage

Motorcycle Accident Damages

If you are injured in a motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages. This is given to a victim to cover any losses incurred as a result of the accident.

Following a motorbike collision, the following losses are recoverable:

  • Medical costs associated with the accident.
  • Lost pay, including the money you will lose for missing work as a result of the injury.
  • Compensation for the loss of consortium.
  • Pain and suffering.
  • Damage to property.
  • Wrongful death: If a loved one died in a motorcycle crash.

While there is no limit on injury damages in Connecticut, the amount you can collect may be dependent on the amount of insurance coverage available.

Our Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Can Help

After an accident, you should consult one of our CT motorcycle accident lawyers, especially if you've been hurt. We will handle your case, including talks with the insurance company, and secure the compensation for your losses. Without legal representation, you run the risk of accepting an unfavorable settlement.

When you select Brandon J. Broderick as your motorcycle accident lawyer, there is no upfront fee. Only if we win do we get paid. Contact us right away to schedule a free consultation. We can talk about your situation, provide guidance, and assist you in reaching a successful outcome.

Posted by: Brandon J. Bro…
Date: Tue, 05/23/2023 - 19:46

Still have questions?

Speak to an attorney today

Call now and be done